1. 1 Cor. 3:9-11 – GOD’S FELLOW WORKERS
John 5:17 – My Father has been working until now, and I have been working
2. 1 Cor. 4:1-4 – STEWARDS OF MYSTERY
1 Cor. 2:7,8 – The wisdom of God is a mystery – which none of the rulers of this age know
3. 1 Cor. 4:6-13 – SPECTACLE TO WORLD
To angels and men
4. 1 Cor. 4:14-21 – FATHERS IN GOD
5. 2 Cor. 2:12-17- FRAGRANCE OF CHRIST
6. 2 Cor. 5:20 – AMBASSADORS FOR CHRIST
For Christ – the anointed one
7. 2 Cor. 6:4 – SERVANTS OF GOD
PERSPECTIVE 1 John 2:12-14
EMPATHY 2 Cor. 1:3,4
SELFLESSNESS 1 Cor. 11:1
DISCERNMENT Heb. 5:14
GIFT 1 Tim. 4:14
This is a very basic sermon outline – it is well worth reading the verses in context and meditating on the theme. [Ed.]
Matt 3: 11-12 (NIV)
“I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire. His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor, gathering his wheat into the barn and burning up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”
“I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled!“
1. Exodus 3:2 – REVELATION OF GOD
2. Exodus 13:21 – GUIDANCE OF GOD
3. Lev. 9:24 – MERCY OF GOD
4. Deut. 4:24 – JEALOUSY OF GOD
5. 1 Kings 18:38 – POWER OF GOD
6. Isaiah 6 – HOLINESS OF GOD
7. Daniel 3:25 – PRESERVATION OF GOD
I read this in the Times of India today:
Spousal violence is rampant in India. The National Family Health Survey-III, carried out in 29 states during 2005-06, had found that 37% women reported being physically or sexually abused by their husbands at some time in their lives. More shockingly, around 54% of the women surveyed thought that such violence was justified on some grounds. The survey, which interviewed 1.25 lakh (125,000) women, saw 41% women justifying wife-beating if it was because they showed disrespect towards their in-laws while 35% women were okay with being brutally assaulted by their husbands if they neglected household chores or their children.
Not surprisingly then, 51% of the 75,000 men interviewed didn’t find anything wrong with assaulting their wives. Slapping was found to be the commonest act of violence by husbands. Only 2% of abused women have ever sought police help.
I read these quote on another blog today:
John Wesley would rise to be with God at 4:00am each day.
Mary Queen of Scots apparently said she “feared the prayers of John Knox more than all the armies of England”
James Hudson Taylor said, “The sun has never risen over China without finding me at prayer.”
So how is your prayer life?
“Every great movement of God can be traced to a kneeling figure”
Many questions might be asked – here are a few examples:
How important is prayer in my daily life?
How much time do I give to active prayer throughout each day?
How often do I consciously and deliberately stop to pray about something?
Do I pray ‘without ceasing’?
Do I persist in prayer until i am convinced in spirit that i have the answer?
Am I casual in prayer telling God what I want rather than seeking his heart and allowing my actions to follow?
James 1:19-2:13 – Living under(or: in the power of) the Word of God
After you have listened to this weeks message, please ponder the questions below and allow God to speak to you and help you change areas in your life that do not please him.
- Are you living in anger in your life? Is it robbing you of your peace in God? Can you please God if you live in anger?
- Is there any room for compassion and holiness in your life? Are you actively pursuing these? How concerned are you about the needs of others?
- Do you discriminate against people based on outward appearances and worldly standards?
- Do you love money?
- Would it be true of you that you are quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger.
- Do you listen to God?
- Do you listen to others?
- Are you sensitive in your spirit to God and other people?
- Are you developing a listening spirit before God
- Are you dealing with moral filth in your life and getting rid of it in your life?
- Are you doing the Word or just listening to it?
- Are those the world marginalises being productive in your church? Are you contributing to the Kingdom of God?
- Are you keeping yourself from being polluted by the world? Are you being washed continually by the Word of God?
- Is mercy a hallmark of your life? If you look over the past 3 months are you expressing more mercy or more judgement?
Many of us will remember the powerful preaching and teaching of Bob Gordon. We have started to convert some of his audio tapes into a digital format that we make available for you here. We will put an audio message online every week starting with his audio books.
To those of you who are new to Bob Gordon, we hope you will find his messages refreshing and challenging.
Continue reading The Life of Faith