Os Guinness: No Gods But God: Moody Press: 1992
Identifies a number of alternatives to the Gospel proffered by modern views. Among them:
1) An alternative authority
– John 1: 1
2) An alternative world-view
– complexes, repressions, denials, inhibitions,
obsessions, traumas and codependencies are
far more real than original sin or the image of
3) Alternative priests
– counselling as a business.
4) An alternative pathology
– Carl Menninger:
Whatever Became Of Sin?
5) An alternative faith
– faith in religion in general (rather than in
– faith in faith as a process
6) An alternative salvation
– the shift from salvation to self-realization.