I recently used Bob’s outline for preaching 1 Cor. 2:6-16 in a chapel service at college.
SPIRIT AND WORD
* 1 Cor. 2:9-16
* Wigglesworth – 2 great moves of the Holy Spirit.
* Divine Principle of Action from the beginning.
1. SPIRIT OF REVELATION
v10 – God has revealed it to us by His Spirit
Two different realms; one is that of doctrine – the other is that of revelation: the first can be attained with a little effort, a little cleverness, and a little eloquence, the second is beyond human ability.
* Eph. 1:18 – the eyes of your heart my be enlightened
Inner Illumination of the Spirit
Immediate Breakthrough in Spirit
Three Important Stages – Enlightenment
2. SPIRIT OF UNDERSTANDING
v11,12 – that we may understand what God has freely given us
* Ps. 119:130 – The entrance / unfolding of your words brings light.
3. SPIRIT OF COMMUNICATION
v13 – expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words
* Acts 6:1-6 – not serve tables … give ourselves to the ministry of the word
* 2 Cor. 3:6 – not of the letter, but of the Spirit – gives life
* Not just Physical but Spiritual
We learn from the Bible that God has a prime work to perform on earth which is to utter his word. If the word of God is taken away then almost nothing is left of God’s work. No word, no work. When the word of god is eliminated the work of God is reduced to near zero.
4. SPIRIT OF DISCERNMENT
v14,15 – The spiritual man makes judgements about all things
*Rom. 12:2 – Be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s word is.
5. SPIRIT OF INSTRUCTION
v16 – we have the mind of Christ
* Is. 30:21 – whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you saying
* John 15:15 – a servant does not know his master’s business
* James 1:21 – Humbly accept the word planted in you.