1. THE DEFINITION OF FAITH
a. Eph. 2:8 – Conversion faith – faith that saves
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,
b. 1 Cor. 16:13 – Doctrinal faith – that confesses
Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
Beloved, although I was very eager to write to you about our common salvation, I found it necessary to write appealing to you to contend for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints.
c. Heb. 11:6 – Power / dynamic faith – faith that claims
1 Cor. 12:9
to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit,
2. THE URGENCY FOR FAITH
a. Spiritual diversions / traditional enemies
Christianity seen as a heretical alternative.
b. Power of the Church
c. Crisis in the World
– global problems – Aids
– impotence of man
3. THE PROCESS OF FAITH (COST)
2 Cor. 4:7
But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.
– Heart – 1 John 3:21 – burden of faith
– In Terms of…
– Mind – Rom. 12:2 – to be able to receive Gods Word – Jer. 32:8; Is. 66:9
– Tongue – James 3 – to be able to speak faith
– Spirit – Rom. 8:26,27 – tongues
4. THE CONFLICT OF FAITH
At heart it is spiritual warfare
Self – inner battle / self-discipline
Solitude – lonely road
– deny the word of God – Eve
– direct the purposes of God -Luke 4
– destroy the servant of God – Herod
– the Cross
5. THE PRAYER OF FAITH
* Luke 11:9 – Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.
* Difference between intercession / prayer of faith
*1 John 5:4 – This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith.