I have called this series 5D because it is meant to take five minutes in which time we shall consider one simple aspect of being a disciple (5 minutes in Discipleship). I shall post 2-3 times each week and intend to follow Mark’s Gospel highlighting aspects of the example of Jesus that we can apply to our lives as his disciples.
At that time Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. Just as Jesus was coming up out of the water, he saw heaven being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: “You are my Son,whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”
At once the Spirit sent him out into the wilderness, and he was in the wilderness forty days, being tempted by Satan.
From this passage I wonder how you would describe the relationship of the Holy Spirit and Jesus? There are two obvious points to notice:
– The Spirit descended upon Jesus. The image suggests he was coming from heaven (in the Bible heaven is up)
– The Spirit sent him out. Was it an order, a command or a suggestion of the best way to move forward?
How would you describe your relationship with the Holy Spirit?
Jesus makes it clear in John’s Gospel that it is his intention for every believer to be filled with the Holy Spirit, Jn 7:37-39,
On the last and greatest day of the festival, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, “Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them.”By this he meant the Spirit,whom those who believed in him were later to receive.
If we are following Jesus, looking at him, copying him, then in just the same way that he was, we need to be filled with the Holy Spirit.
Time to think
1. Have you asked God our Father to fill you with the Holy Spirit? Lk 11:13, “If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”
2. Do you know the fellowship of the Holy Spirit? 2 Corinthians 13:14
3. Are you led by the Holy Spirit in all aspects of your life? “…the Spirit sent him out…”