We are all called to be disciples—mathetes, 260+X in NT
– ‘one who learns instruction from another’. An apprentice to a tradesman — they were imitators of their teachers.
But what does this mean?
– What are the qualities of a Disciple?
– What does a Disciple look like?
Living as a Disciple of Jesus Christ
Week 1: Discipleship and the Word of God
1. The Word of God is the foundation for a Disciple
The Word of God—the Scriptures, the Bible,…e.g.
John 8:31-32 Rom 10:17 Ps 119:11, 105 Jas 1:22
- Disciples don’t follow some words of Jesus, but commit themselves to follow through all the teaching of Jesus in a disciplined and committed way.
- We must live our daily lives obeying the commands, teaching and example He has already given to us.
- What is taught in the Word of God as the basis / foundation of our discipleship, otherwise we will have to fight the temptation of every idea, thought or feeling that comes along. Matt 7:24-27
2. The Word of God has great Power
A. In Creation…and our re-creation
Genesis 1– “and God said let there be light…and it was so”
2 Cor 5:17…in Christ you are a new creation
B. In Achieving the Plans and Purposes of God—Bearing Fruit— see also parable of the sower, WOG into our hearts
10 “The rain and snow come down from the heavens
and stay on the ground to water the earth.
They cause the grain to grow,
producing seed for the farmer
and bread for the hungry.
11 It is the same with my word.
I send it out, and it always produces fruit.
It will accomplish all I want it to,
and it will prosper everywhere I send it.
C. In Searching our Hearts
12 For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires.13 Nothing in all creation is hidden from God. Everything is naked and exposed before his eyes, and he is the one to whom we are accountable.
D. In Resisting the Devil
3. The different ways we receive the Word of God
This is not a definitive / exhaustive list!
A. The Written Word— The Scriptures
2 Tim 3:16-17
All Scripture is inspired by Godand is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. 17 God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work.
B. Jesus—the Word of God
In the beginning the Word already existed.
The Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 He existed in the beginning with God.
3 God created everything through him, and nothing was created except through him.
4 The Word gave life to everything that was created,[a] and his life brought light to everyone.
So the Word became human and made his home among us. He was full of unfailing love and faithfulness. And we have seen his glory, the glory of the Father’s one and only Son.
C. The Voice of God
– Moses; burning bush in the desert / wilderness
– Samuel; voice while in bed in the Temple
– Isaiah; vision in temple
– Peter; dream of sheet whilst sleeping on a rooftop
– Paul; dream of a man of Macedonia
4. The effect/ Result of the Word of God in Us
Remember your word to your servant,
in which you have made me hope.
50 This is my comfort in my affliction,
that your promise [WORD] gives me life.