* Amos 8:11,12 (ESV)
“Behold, the days are coming,” declares the Lord GOD,
“when I will send a famine on the land—
not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water,
but of hearing the words of the LORD.
They shall wander from sea to sea,
and from north to east;
they shall run to and fro, to seek the word of the LORD,
but they shall not find it.
* I am convinced this is a most necessary subject
1. DOES GOD SPEAK TO YOU?
a. What is the Most Dominant Force in your Life?
– logic / rational
* Dream – Kings Coach
* Vision – Wimbledon
* Scripture -Roffey Place – Is 66:7-9 (v8)
* Others -directive
* I look for a word from God – Zeph. 3:16,17
– Gen. 15:2-11
* It is the substance of life
2. DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE MEANING OF WHAT GOD SAYS?
* Heb. 5:14 – who by reason of use have their senses exercised.
* 1 Cor. 2:12
Why dont we hear?
Why dont we know?
-lack of exercise
– spiritual dullness through other influences
i. Exposure to the Word – who believe in the word of righteousness
ii. Practise in the Spirit – by reason of use
iii. Spiritual Discernment – good and evil
*Amazing number of Christians who do not live in the spiritual realm.
*Occasional glimpse of life but no real movement of the Spirit. It is not glimpses we need but inclination.
3. ARE YOU AFRAID THAT GOD MIGHT SPEAK TO YOU?
* Don’t Discount This – for me it has meant great change.
The word of God is awesome.
a. Heb. 4:12,13 – the cutting power of Gods word
b. Heb. 12:25-28 – the awesome responsibility
* Gods voice often brings change – challenges deeply ingrained attitudes.
4. DO YOU MAKE IT POSSIBLE FOR GOD TO SPEAK TO YOU?
i. Those who don’t (not till is mind practical)
ii. Those who do
iii. Those who do in a haphazard and wholly unsatisfactory way
– a verse here and there (Oxenham)
– a moment of crisis (misty flats)
* Mixed – water and oil
– don’t know the difference between direct revelation and human inclination.
* Ps. 119:10-15
5. HOW DO YOU MAKE ROOM FOR GODS WORD?
* Look at priorities
* Ethos – music
Room = Time
Reflection (Campbell McAlpine)
* We are informationalists – give us the key – principles – the know how and we will do it.
* Doesn’t work like that with the Kingdom of God
– Inner Being
– Spiritual Stimulation
– Mature through Practice
6. WHAT DO YOU DO WITH A WORD FROM GOD?
* James 1:21-25
v21 – humbly accept the word (no preconception)
v22 – do what it says
* That has been the principle of my life – risk / trust
v25 – continue in the word
* Analogy of experts – they know ? things
* Is. 55:10,11
7. DO YOU RECOGNISE THE CHALLENGE?
* Rom. 8:6-8 (NKJV) – Rom. 12:2 – renewal of the mind